- 1973 – The Ministry of Technology, Research and Local Government.
- 1976 – In 1976, in line with its new functions and responsibilities related to environmental issues, the Ministry’s name was changed to the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MOSTE).
- 2004 – The Cabinet on March 27, 2004 has agreed to the restructuring of MOSTE and the Ministry’s name was changed to Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) in order to spearhead the development of National ICT, Multimedia and Innovation.
- 2007 – In 2007, the functions of Science and Technology were broken up according to the clusters of Biotechnology, ICT, Industrial, Sea to Space and Core Cluster of Science & Technology.
- 2016 – On October 3, 2016, MOSTI has been restructured to give more focus on promoting R&D and commercialization programs.
“To lead the National Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) Agenda”
“Explore, develop and utilise STI to generate knowledge, create wealth and ensure societal wellbeing towards achieving a competitive, sustainable and inclusive high income economy”
- Development of Human capital in science, technology and innovation (STI) towards generating and enhancing knowledge based and innovation-led economy;
- Harnessing and intensifying home grown R&D, technology acquisition and marketing innovation;
- Mainstreaming of STI, nurturing and acculturation of creative and innovative thinking;
- Enhancement and strengthening strategic alliances (collaboration, cooperation and partnerships);
- Strengthening research, development and commercialization fund;
- Stimulating commercialization and intellectual property for wealth creation and societal well being;
- Empowering society through STI for sustainable development and;
- STI Services
- STI Acculturation
- Management Services
- STI Policy
- STI Development
Types of Services Provided By MOSTI
- Weather forecast report
- Radioactive Materials Licensing
- Managing and Coordinating R, D & C funds
- DNA test
- Standard certification
- Cyber Security
- Space Science Education
- Consultancy on Radiation Protection
- Observation of the Earth’s surface
- Non-formal STI education