The International Division of the Ministry of Science, Technology & Innovation (MOSTI) was officially formed in 1991. Initially, the Division consisted of five (5) Units—Bilateral Unit 1 (Europe/America/Australia), Bilateral Unit 2 (Asia), ASEAN/APEC Unit, Multilateral Unit and Administration Unit. The total number of staffs at that time was 17. During the Ministry’s restructuring exercise in 2007, the Division went through a small transformation. Except for the Administration Unit, all other Units were streamlined under a new section called Technical Cooperation Section to reflect their core functions. Another new section called Trade and Promotion Section was also formed to coordinate MOSTI and agencies’ trade and promotion programmes abroad; to help formulate MOSTI’s stance in trade matters which are related to Science, Technology and Innovation (STI); and to coordinate MOSTI’s involvement in the trade negotiations among the World Trade Organization (WTO) membership, especially in areas related to MOSTI’s functions. The Administration Unit remains unchanged until today.
Today, International Division consists of a total number of 26 staffs. Fourteen (14) staffs are from the Management and Professional Group (all are from Administrative and Diplomatic service scheme) and twelve (12) staffs from Supporting Group.
- Spearheading the Ministry as the coordinator and focal point in international cooperation in the fields of Science, Technology and Innovation among government ministries and agencies and the private sector in Malaysia
- Enhancing cooperation at international level in line with MOSTI’s Visions;
- Knowledge Generation
- Wealth Creation
- Societal Well Being
- Enhancing cooperation in the fields of Science, Technology and Innovation with ASEAN member states and its dialogue partners
- Extending cooperation in the fields of Science, Technology and ICT with other countries, international bodies and agencies to benefit from the advancement in Science, Technology and Innovation towards contributing to the economic growth of the country
Functions And Responsibilities
1.Technical Cooperation Section
1.1 Europe/America/Africa/Oceania (Bilateral Unit 1) and Asia (Bilateral Unit 2)
Strengthen cooperation in Science, Technology and Innovation with countries in Europe, Americas, Africa, Oceania and Asia:
- through Memorandums of Understanding (Mou) and Agreements;
- by coordinating Malaysia’s participation in joint programmes and projects;
- by coordinating MOSTI’s delegation participation in conferences and events abroad; and
- by coordinating visits of delegations from these countries.
1.2 ASEAN / APEC Unit
Ensures Malaysia’s effective participation in programmes and projects under the:
- ASEAN Ministers’ Meetings on Science and Technology (AMMST)
- ASEAN Committee on Science and Technology (COST) Meetings;
- ASEAN COST Dialogue Partners Meeting; and;
- APEC Policy Partnership on Science, Technology and Innovation (PPSTI).
1.3 Multilateral Unit
Operates as Malaysia’s focal point for Science, Technology and Innovation cooperation in multilateral bodies. This unit:
- is the secretariat to the National Committee of the OIC-COMSTECH and the Permanent Subcommittee on Science to the National Commission for UNESCO Malaysia; and
- coordinates Malaysia’s/MOSTI’s participation in the NAM S&T Centre, G15 (NAM), Asia-Pacific Centre for Transfer of Technology, Commonwealth Science Council and D8 (Group of Developing Islamic Member Countries).
2. Trade & Promotion Unit
To coordinate MOSTI and local agencies’ trade and promotion programmes which related to Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) abroad;
- To help formulate MOSTI’s stance in trade matters which are related to STI; and
- To coordinate MOSTI’s involvement in the trade negotiations among the World Trade Organization (WTO) membership, especially in areas related to STI / MOSTI’s functions.
3. Administration Unit
Oversees the general office administration and financial matters of the Division.
We are committed to uphold the country’s aspiration to be a developed nation, through Science, Technology and Innovation by;
- enhancing activities related to transfer of technology, scientific services and usage of appropriate technology
- shouldering the responsibility and coordinate all international cooperation projects, technical assistance and other forms of international cooperation in the areas of Science, Technology and Innovation
- coordinating and strengthening the existing bilateral cooperation programmes
- enhancing strategic relationships with the foreign countries and international growth to improve the development in Science, Technology and Innovation
- providing continuous support to international cooperation programmes by Ministry and its agencies
- establishing ties with countries of mutual interests through Memorandums of Understanding (MoU)